Green bean casserole is our staple side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.
1 Tbsp butter
1 cup fresh mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 cup onions (diced)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
2 cups green beans (sliced into thirds)
3 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 ounce)
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
two slices bacon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the mushrooms in the butter. Add the onions. Add the garlic.
- Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain.
- Add the green beans, cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 can onion rings, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper, to the onion mixture. Stir well.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Top the casserole with 1/2 can onion rings and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes.
Adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/green-bean-casserole-recipe.html?oc=linkback